"Boys are found everywhere—on top of, underneath, inside of, climbing on, swinging from, running around or jumping to. Mothers love them, little girls hate them, older sisters and brothers tolerate them, adults ignore them and Heaven protects them. A boy is Truth with dirt on its face, Beauty with a cut on its finger, Wisdom with bubble gum in its hair
and the Hope of the future with a frog in its pocket."
Author: Alan Beck


Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The BIG bus riders.

Lil' preschool man.

Will someone PLEASE tell me how in the world we went from 'week two of summer break' to the first day of school in 2.2 seconds? I'm sitting here (alone) at my kitchen table looking at my surroundings, which are still shoving summer in my face. Flip flops and sandals strewn throughout the house, a mountain of swim towels upon my kitchen table, a back yard littered with squirt guns & beach balls, and a mildewed slip n slide flung over the railing of the deck.

These are a few of my favorite things.

What's a mom, who hasn't been alone at home in over 11 years, supposed to do?  Of course, I have my list of things that need to be done-

Clean bathrooms
Vacuum/Mop
Organize closet
Sort toys
Make beds
Pay bills

But I also have a list of things that sound entirely dreamy-

Read a book
Read a magazine
Read a newspaper
Read fricken anything I can get my hands on
Blog a post
Write a children's book
Drink tea

I'm torn between the chore list, and the selfish list.  Cleaning and organizing feels right, while sitting on the couch reading a book seems a bit sneaky.

As I glance at the clock, I realize that now I've only got 20 minutes until I leave to grab lil' preschool man.

 Just enough time to fold the towels that are sprawled across the kitchen table, and wipe up the puke the dog just left by my side.

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good fight, babe! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete