"Boys are found everywhere—on top of, underneath, inside of, climbing on, swinging from, running around or jumping to. Mothers love them, little girls hate them, older sisters and brothers tolerate them, adults ignore them and Heaven protects them. A boy is Truth with dirt on its face, Beauty with a cut on its finger, Wisdom with bubble gum in its hair
and the Hope of the future with a frog in its pocket."
Author: Alan Beck


Wednesday, May 25, 2011

If only things were that simple

This may just be the busiest and most stressful week of my life.School is winding down for the boys, making them a bit nutty.  And the rainy days we've received this month have created a huge outbreak of cabin fever, making me a bit nutty.

Finals for me.

Preschool graduations and end of year wrap-ups for the boys.

Computer trouble.

Laundry overflow.

Neglected housework.

Sleepless nights and draining days.

Each night, I find myself running on empty.  However, I do my best to have a bedside chat with each boy as they make their way to dreamland.  We talk about school, upcoming plans for the weekend, and dreams for the future.  There's always at least one boy who tries to con me into receiving one last cup of chocolate milk, or one more cookie. Everyone has a light they prefer, and the little ones need extra reassurance that zombies aren't for real. 

My goal is to make the rounds before someone falls asleep.

Imagine my sadness when I come across a bed with a sleeping boy.  Will they remember that I didn't tuck them in?  Will they hold it against me and pay me back with naughty behavior for days to come? 

They always do.

So the other night when I approached a particular bed with a slumbering boy, guilt began to swallow me whole.

Until I climbed his ladder to cover him up and saw this-

Rubber rain boots might be the one thing that could make everyone on earth smile.  They're bright and colorful, they're squeaky, and no matter how old they are (or how many brothers wore them before you), they never lose that infectious rubbery smell. 

And who'd have thought that they would also help you sleep at night?  This boy wears them every night, and sleeps like an angel, so he must be on to something spectacular.

There's only one way to find out.

This girl's saving her pennies for her own pair of rubber rain boot therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment