"Boys are found everywhere—on top of, underneath, inside of, climbing on, swinging from, running around or jumping to. Mothers love them, little girls hate them, older sisters and brothers tolerate them, adults ignore them and Heaven protects them. A boy is Truth with dirt on its face, Beauty with a cut on its finger, Wisdom with bubble gum in its hair
and the Hope of the future with a frog in its pocket."
Author: Alan Beck


Thursday, October 14, 2010

CIRCA Dec, 2009

A blog post from almost one year ago....

Derek is back at work and I am home with my 5 wild Indians.

Another year is almost behind us. Yesterday, the boys dismantled the tree while I tackled the thousands of remaining decorations strewn throughout the rest of the house. I saved the mantle for last. There's something about taking stockings down that makes my heart ache. I love looking at each child's stocking and thinking about the magic that it holds each and every year . Maybe I just like seeing their names so many times throughout the day. It helps me remember what to call them. Whatever the reason, I despise the task.

As I started to remove the cranberries and snowflake lights, I quickly abandoned ship. I renamed them winter lights and there they shall stay until winter is over. Mantles are meant for lights. A lit mantle = a warm home and it's my New Year's resolution this year to keep mine lit at all times. (Don't worry, mom, I'll unplug them at night so as not to start a fire).

I was hoping for a relaxing day. The boys have more urgent things on their agendas. Evan wants to create a volcanic explosion in the kitchen sink. Luke wants to bake pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. Jack, Logan and Wes will happily join in any activity.

Luke just told me he is asking for a "Febreze Flameless Luminary" for his birthday. Then he told me to "wash the baby, cuz he smells bad." Wes just awoke from his morning nap, and he does smell a little 'spitty'. I love when my boys wake up after sleeping in a puddle of drool. I could kiss their slimy, spitty, after-nap cheeks all day. It's calming to me. Makes me wonder what they dreamt about.

Is that normal? Probably not. Do I care? Not really. I have more important things to worry about.

Like.....what is the best possible way to create a volcanic explosion that will make my boys proud?



No comments:

Post a Comment