"Boys are found everywhere—on top of, underneath, inside of, climbing on, swinging from, running around or jumping to. Mothers love them, little girls hate them, older sisters and brothers tolerate them, adults ignore them and Heaven protects them. A boy is Truth with dirt on its face, Beauty with a cut on its finger, Wisdom with bubble gum in its hair
and the Hope of the future with a frog in its pocket."
Author: Alan Beck


Monday, January 30, 2012

You'll thank me later.

This time last year, I was spending hours each day researching the bazillion breeds of chickens.  I had recently found out that the covenant that once banned backyard chickens, no longer existed.  Quick!  I had to start my farm before the rule changed back.  This news was too good to be true.

Here we are, one year later, madly in love with our girls.  OK, I'm madly in love with them.  The rest of the gang just loves them....even hubby.

As spring approaches, my inbox has been flooded with 'reminders' from various hatcheries that "Now is the time to order baby chicks!"  And if I were no longer dwelling in the middle of suburbia, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be ordering....by the flock-full.

However, since I remain (for the time being) stuck in the city, and have reached my 'chicken limit', I am going to live vicariously through people like YOU.  Don't have chickens?  Get on the horse, it's time to buy!

Here are the top 10 reasons I think every home/family/backyard should have chickens:

1.They start out as baby chicks (duh), and you know there isn't ANYTHING in the world cuter than a day-old chick.
2.They eat every bug known to man, which means no more pesticides sprayed in the grass.
3.They're sweet and social, and will follow you, your kids, your neighbors, your neighbors kids, or anyone else who seems of interest to them.
4.They're super easy to maintain.  Definitely the most low-maintenance girls on the planet.
5.They're inexpensive.  Ours were $2-$5 each, and cost roughly $10 per month.
6.They're much more entertaining than any snake, lizard, frog, fish, gerbil, hamster, guinea pig, parrot, or other creature could ever be.  Really, they're hilarious to watch.  I'm not kidding.
7.They're quiet....unless you accidentally end up with a rooster. Poor Chicken Butt.  I wonder if he thinks of us.
8.They provide the young-ins with endless learning experiences.  That's right, kids.  Eggs don't come from Safeway.
9.They think your leftover table scraps, old cheese & noodles are a real treat!  Nothing goes to waste.
10.Did I mention they lay fresh eggs?

Bottom line?  Unless you're my brother, and you're deathly afraid of germs, and anything that poops, do yourself (and your kids/family) a favor and start your own backyard farm.

You won't regret it.

Wanna know more?  Ask me!

1 comment:

  1. That pic of Bogie is my all time favorite. Words could never stack up to the story that snapshot tells. Timeless!

    ReplyDelete