"Boys are found everywhere—on top of, underneath, inside of, climbing on, swinging from, running around or jumping to. Mothers love them, little girls hate them, older sisters and brothers tolerate them, adults ignore them and Heaven protects them. A boy is Truth with dirt on its face, Beauty with a cut on its finger, Wisdom with bubble gum in its hair
and the Hope of the future with a frog in its pocket."
Author: Alan Beck


Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Powerless

Just look at him.  His dimples are the size of craters, and they melt me.  He looks so innocent, doesn't he?  One would never guess I found his pockets full of corn skewers just yesterday.  I would give $100 just to know what his intent was.  It was malice, no doubt.  Like always, I'm sure his plan was well constructed.  
A pocket full of corn skewers!
 (I'm crazy about this kid) 

We overslept big time this morning.  A true rarity.  A blessing in disguise that leaves me feeling crooked for the entire day.

How does one feel crooked?  I'm not quite sure myself.....

I usually drink my first cup of coffee upstairs as I am getting ready.  Today I felt incredibly rushed and opted to skip it.  Big mistake.

A typical morning consists of me serving up 5 different breakfast orders to 5 different boys.  Their first meal of the day often includes requests such as, cereal, toast, yogurt, eggs, bacon, sausage, and your occasional grilled cheese sandwich.

This morning, however, I honored their requests and then reached for my first cup of coffee.  As the fog lifted from my brain, I took first notice of what I had agreeably served them for breakfast-

Popsicles,
Bacon,
Leftover Cheesecake,
& Popcorn
Nice.

And then I sat and watched as they successfully rearranged every ounce of furniture in our family room as to make the couches and chairs more suitable for their jumping purposes. 
Couch to couch, chair to chair, they bounced.

I just drank my coffee and giggled as they flew through the air.  Without my normal fuel intake I was powerless.  Like a shark smells blood in the water, my boys have the amazing ability to detect
 my level of endurance.

The rest of our day has continued in much the same fashion. 
Together, they've created a force that I can't battle. 

Today I choose to raise my white flag. 

I'm resting up for what tomorrow may bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment